Monday, February 11, 2008

Callender's Grill - Los Angeles

Callender's Grill - Los Angeles

I found myself at the Bridge waiting for an afternoon screening of I AM LEGEND in the IMAX theatre. I was still weak from the end of a cold and I really just wanted a deli for some more chicken soup. Callender's had some barley concoction that didn't appeal. I chose the Rasberry-Chipotle Chicken to go with a couple of Stella's.

I like rasberries. I was recently disappointed to learn that Trader Joe's had discontinued the production of their All Rasberry Juice. I used to be big on blueberries. For years I heard stories of my New England cousins going out to pick blueberries and returning with several coffee cans filled with free fresh fruit. I also enjoy the blackberry and the boysenberry. I spent many days over the course of my youth at Knotts Berry Farm and I'm hip to the whole history about Knott inventing the boysenberry and all that. But I now worship the rasberry.

Chipotle sauce has been all the rage for too long now and, while I enjoy it, I don't particularly look for it in a menu. But seeing it on the this menu combined with rasberries, that grabbed my attention. I enjoy many chili sauces and salsas. I've been a lifelong devote of the Pepperoncini and freely devour both the bitter Italian versions and the sweet Greek versions as well. But for years now my favorite chili has been the Serrano pepper. Clean out the seeds and chop it up. You can taste the pepper instead of the heat. It goes in everything. The rasberries and chipotle went together splendidly and the dabs of goat cheese were a guilty pleasure.

Char-Broiled Raspberry-Chipotle Chicken:
spicy smoked chipotle-raspberry glaze, jasmine rice, marinated char-roasted vegetables, goat cheese

Marie Callender's Grill - Official Site

No comments: